Tips to Avoid Ankle Injuries
Ankle injuries are very common especially in sports that require lots of jumping, running and turning. These types of activities increase the risk of rollover incidents, which can result in stretched or torn ligaments in the ankle (also known as ankle sprains). Here are some quick tips on how to help prevent ankle injuries.
- Stretch your ankles, especially before or after sports and physical activities. Keeping your ligaments flexible and limber can help prevent them from being torn.
- Be sure to warm up before exercising. You're much less likely to hurt yourself during sports if your muscles are warmed up.
- Strengthen the muscles around your ankle. Ankle exercises such as heel raises improve your ankle muscles, which keeps your ankle ligaments aligned correctly and reduces your chance of injury.
- Wear ankle braces during sports and activities. They provide compression and support to give your ankles an added boost of strength and stability. They're also ideal for people who have had previous ankle injuries. (Athletes who have injured their ankle previously have a high chance of re-injuring themselves in the future.)
- Replace old shoes and other equipment if they are showing signs of wear and tear. Make sure your shoes give your foot arches proper support.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Your ankles and feet support your entire body, so losing weight may help reduce the strain on your ankles and improve your overall health.
These simple tips can help save your ankle from future injuries! If you experience ankle pain or think you might have injured your ankle, check with your doctor for the best treatment for your injury.